Compensation management software is essential to the modern human resources department. Compensation adds up to 70.3% of total employer costs in the private industry. Therefore, it’s important for HR teams to take extra care when planning how to pay employees.
Many other factors contribute to needing compensation management software as well. Not sure the monetary value of a specific skill? Having trouble tracking performance-based compensation across different teams? Trying to boost retention through transparent payment decisions?
To simplify your buying process, we handpicked the best compensation management solutions out of dozens in the market. Before you decide to buy, check out this guide to understand what’s out there, how much each product costs, what to ask on demos, and more.
Best Compensation Management Software
To identify the top-tier Compensation Management Software, we evaluated dozens of tools across multiple criteria taking into account user feedback, demos, interviews with each company’s product team, and our own experts’ insight. We placed significant emphasis on three pivotal aspects: compensation management features, market analysis & benchmarking capabilities, and integration with HR systems.
- Core Compensation Management Features: The selected solutwions facilitate salary planning, performance assessment, bonus distribution, and equity administration. These features empower businesses to make informed compensation decisions, align employee rewards with performance, and optimize the overall compensation management process.
- Market Analysis and Benchmarking: Effective compensation management requires insights into prevailing market trends and competitive benchmarks. We focused on software solutions that enable businesses to compare their compensation practices with industry peers, access real-time market data, and make data-driven decisions to ensure competitive and fair compensation packages.
- Integration with HR Systems: To make the cut, the compensation management tools we picked had to offer compatibility with HRIS, HCM, and other essential HR platforms, ensuring seamless data exchange and minimizing manual data entry.
ChartHop promises to take you beyond manual spreadsheets with their compensation planning solution that automatically generates a compensation review plan to share with management based on any metrics you choose.
- ChartHop seamlessly integrates with existing HR and ATS systems, streamlining processes by centralizing functionalities.
- The tool's organizational chart has long been a standout feature. It allows users to edit and navigate company structures easily. This fosters efficient communication and change tracking after reorganizations.
- ChartHop's goal-tracking interface is user-friendly and intuitive, simplifying goal management.
- The Map feature fosters a sense of togetherness for remote teams, enhancing employee engagement.
- Charthop nicely integrates with your existing HR and ATS systems. Having everything under one roof means not having to use ten different applications.
- Charthop’s organization chart is its biggest asset. Their drag-and-drop feature to edit the chart is a hit amongst a majority of the users. Overall, the tool makes navigation throughout the company really easy - you can find the people you need, figure out their responsibilities, and track changes after the latest company re-organization.
- Charthop's goal tracking interface is simple, intuitive, and easy to build. There's not much else you can ask for.
- Charthop's Map feature allows businesses to see where each employee is located. For organizations that work remotely, this promotes a feeling of togetherness, which is crucial for employee engagement.
- Navigating ChartHop's organizational chart can be challenging due to its fast zooming and somewhat unintuitive gestures.
- ChartHop's search function lacks user-friendliness and, from our research and testing, occasionally provides incorrect results.
- Compared to other tools, some users have shared that the user interface of ChartHop can seem outdated and cumbersome.
- Charthop's organization chart navigation isn't the best. The chart zooms in and out quite quickly, and the gestures aren't intuitive, making it difficult to use.
- Charthop can be a little complicated to figure out. Also, the fact that there are so many features is a little intimidating.
- Charthop's search function isn't user-friendly. There's not much information on how to use it effectively, and it sometimes throws the wrong results.
- Charthop's UI is somewhat dated and clunky.
ChartHop’s compensation management solution is excellent at distributing salary data and creating personalized scenario planning.
Your team decides what information to share with managers, from compensation and performance data to demographic and benchmarking data. Once all that information is chosen, ChartHop automatically creates compensation scenarios and exports it to detailed “smart guides” for managers to see.
Managers can then add their proposed changes to a dashboard that forecasts how the compensation changes affect the company. After that, they can approve changes and move them up the chain of command. It’s a powerful, intuitive tool that streamlines the review process.
ChartHop’s compensation planning solution is a part of their suite of employee management products.
The pricing tiers that offer compensation planning are Grow, Scale, and Enterprise. They are $7 per employee per month, $10 per employee per month, and custom priced respectively.
Personalized support is provided in ChartHop’s enterprise pricing plan.
Any company looking for an entire people planning suite with compensation built in.
beqom has a 99% customer retention rate for a reason. It’s a comprehensive solution to compensation management with powerful planning, budgeting, and forecasting functions that let you track headcount and compensation based on data from across your HR tech stack.
beqom’s compensation management software is a comprehensive suite with everything from performance, salary, and bonus management to budget planning and forecasting. Additional features allow you to measure compensation across gender, age, and race to uncover gaps, boosting transparency and equal pay in your organization.
You can also break down total compensation into smaller categories, such as executives and individuals, to get a granular understanding of how you’re paying different people.
- the Adecco Group
- BNP Paribas
beqom‘s pricing model is an all-inclusive annual fee. For specifics, you must contact a representative to get a quote based on your needs.
Large and enterprise companies.
Hibob’s compensation management software is built into its people platform, but it’s strong enough to stand on its own with powerful reporting and collaboration tools.
- They have tons of modules, which makes them a real one-stop shop. Beyond Core HR, they have modules for most things People Ops-related.
- Bob is a fast-growing company and their product looks the part, as it has one of the sleekest-looking platforms in the HRMS space right now.
- Their payroll hub allows you to connect all your payroll systems, which works great if you want to pay people in multiple locations without switching providers.
- Customer support is only offered via a chatbot and email.
- As to implementation, several users commented that they felt there could be more attention via personal walkthroughs provided at the beginning. Many had to resort to reading documentation and watching videos or just figuring things out by themselves.
- Pricing is only custom and available upon request, so you can’t just sign up, pay, and start using the tool.
Hibob’s compensation management software is linked to its existing people platform, making it a great choice for companies looking for an all-encompassing HR suite. However, just because it’s a feature in bob’s larger platform, it doesn’t mean compensation management is an afterthought. It’s a powerful, efficient tool with yearly compensation reviews, equity and bonus allocation, detailed reporting and analytics, and so much more.
While Hibob doesn’t disclose pricing online, you can contact its sales team for a custom quote.
Small to mid-sized companies looking for an HR suite with compensation management built in.
With access to over 40,000 employee records from 500+ companies, Pave has some of the strongest benchmarking data in the compensation management space.
Pave’s compensation management software stands out because of its three-pronged approach: Plan, Communicate, and Benchmark.
Your company can make smart, purposeful compensation decisions based on real-time salary data, analytics, and merit cycle workflows for administering bonuses and equity. Employees have access to a dashboard to view salary, equity, bonuses, and benefits as part of their total compensation. This same visualization is offered to top candidates as well to promote transparency in the hiring process.
Pave also provides real-time, up-to-date market salary data to bolster compensation decisions.
Pave’s pricing is not available on their website. You must contact a sales representative by clicking the “Request Demo” button in the top right corner of its website.
Companies looking to provide transparent compensation to employees and candidates.
PayScale is the trusted compensation platform for more than 7,500 customers, ranging from small businesses to Fortune 1000 companies.
PayScale recently merged with Payfactors to become one of the largest compensation software providers in North America. PayScale has a few different offerings under its umbrella, including Insight Lab, MarketPay, PayScaleTeam, Benchmark, and PayScale Data. With so much variety, customers can pick and choose which features they specifically need.
Certain product suites are geared towards company size as well. For example, MarketPay is designed with the enterprise customer in mind. Therefore, companies of all shapes and sizes can find a solution tailored to their needs. PayScale also offers numerous compensation resources on their website based on thorough research.
- The New York Times
- UnitedHealth Group
Pricing is not available on PayScale’s website. However, it does offer a free job pricing if you make an account.
Companies of all sizes that need a tailored comp management solution.
CURO has saved their customers hundreds of thousands by driving efficiency, improving effectiveness, and providing a clear line of sight between achievement and compensation outcome.
CURO is an impressive solution that covers all aspects of compensation management. It really shines in its complex bonus management features. You can define eligibility criteria for bonuses and salary bumps, track performance, and manage short and long-term incentives as well as promotion scenarios.
All this has helped its customers save money by “slicing” bonuses. CURO will recognize if an employee switched roles halfway through the year. As a result, employers roll out their annual bonus based on both roles, instead of just the role at year’s end. At a big company with lots of in-house mobility, that can add up to hundreds of thousands in savings.
- Sony Music
- Brigham Young University
CURO customers pay for a license which is based on your number of employees. There are additional professional service fees based on your implementation and service needs.
Large and enterprise companies looking to drive efficiency and savings.
Salary.com’s CompAnalyst is the largest HR-reported source of market pricing, with 800 million market data points in 22 countries.
Salary.com’s CompAnalyst solution is a few different features under the same umbrella name. Its standard feature set includes labor cost forecasting, total compensation statements, survey management, reporting & analytics, and merit modeling.
Specifically, its Market Data tool is renowned for its massive database of market pricing. In addition, you’ll get instant access to over 50,000 named executives from public US companies, easily benchmarking your executive headhunting.
What makes CompAnalyst stand out, is its ability to grow alongside your organization. There is a standard feature set ideal for HR teams of one or two, which can expand as your company builds out a talent acquisition team and eventually a dedicated compensation team.
CompAnalyst is made up of a few different solutions, which you pay for separately. You must get in contact with a sales rep for detailed pricing.
Companies of all sizes will find CompAnalyst useful. As your company grows, you can expand your feature set from the base level.
COMPview is a flexible solution for companies of all sizes. It’s designed to adapt to any compensation plan, whether simple or complex.
COMPview, the compensation management software offered by HRSoft, is a no frills compensation solution that can easily adapt to any compensation model.
Upon logging in, users are met with a detailed dashboard that provides birds eye details on the status of compensation. From there, different users can access different functionalities. Frontline managers can make recommendations for their team members, leaders have access to a workflow for reviewing and approving, and upper management will receive detailed reports and compensation statements.
COMPview’s value proposition is being agile to meet the different requirements of its variety of customers. As such, they provide a dedicated customer support team that will be with you from implementation all the way to customer success.
- Ameriprise Financial
COMPview is priced on a per employee per year model, plus a flat implementation fee.
Companies of any size looking for a flexible comp solution.
With a sleek and easy-to-navigate platform, Compete stand out for offering real-time data about benefits and compensation in the tech industry. HR leaders at hundreds of tech companies use their platform to stay competitive in their offerings and retain their people.
Compete’s co-founder and CEO, Amit Rapaport, comes from the world of HR. During her years in several roles, she realized that a major challenge for most HR people was tapping into real-time compensation data. Addressing this pain point is why Compete was founded. Each and every one of their customers provide data from their organization in an anonymous manner, which is fed into their ever-growing database.
On the user side, HR and hiring managers can search for any role, see how much it pays, and look at the benchmark for benefits and other forms of compensation. There’s hard data for salaries, dozens of benefits such as vacation days, maternity leave, healthcare, 401K, and of course benchmarking data about equity. Managers can then make their own conclusions vis a vis compensation and make an informed effort on how to retain their employees.
Many of the leading unicorns and public companies in tech are Compete’s customers. Some of them are Fiverr, Monday.com, Rakuten Viber, HoneyBook, Taboola, Riskified, ironSource, and Melio. Compete also caters to tech companies of all sizes.
Compete is available at a single price and they’ve made sure it’s affordable for startups as well, even if you only hire one person. Regardless of your company size, they offer an unlimited amount of seats.
HR leaders, CFOs, and Venture Capital Funds in tech.
- Our goal at SSR is to help HR and recruiting teams to find and buy the right software for their needs.
- Our site is free to use as some vendors will pay us for web traffic.
- SSR lists all companies we feel are top vendors - not just those who pay us - in our comprehensive directories full of the advice needed to make the right purchase decision for your HR team.