ChartHop's HR Analytics Solution (Review) - 2022
Unlike other legacy People Analytics tools, Charthop is a dynamic platform that the entire organization can use to gather data insights across the employee lifecycle and leverage it to make strategic decisions. From organizational structure to payroll, performance management, and engagement, this tool handles it all.
Pro: Charthop nicely integrates with your existing HR and ATS systems. Having everything under one roof means not having to use ten different applications.
Pro: Charthop’s organization chart is its biggest asset. Their drag-and-drop feature to edit the chart is a hit amongst a majority of the users. Overall, the tool makes navigation throughout the company really easy - you can find the people you need, figure out their responsibilities, and track changes after the latest company re-organization.
Pro: Charthop's goal tracking interface is simple, intuitive, and easy to build. There's not much else you can ask for.
Pro: Charthop's Map feature allows businesses to see where each employee is located. For organizations that work remotely, this promotes a feeling of togetherness, which is crucial for employee engagement.
Con: Charthop's organization chart navigation isn't the best. The chart zooms in and out quite quickly, and the gestures aren't intuitive, making it difficult to use.
Con: Charthop can be a little complicated to figure out. Also, the fact that there are so many features is a little intimidating.
Con: Charthop's search function isn't user-friendly. There's not much information on how to use it effectively, and it sometimes throws the wrong results.
Con: Charthop's UI is somewhat dated and clunky.
Charthop delivers a fresh take on People Analytics through a dynamic platform that can be used by anyone in the organization — not just people data analysts. Through powerful yet simple visualizations, Charthop provides critical insights such as DEI metrics, organizational health data, employee turnover, and more to empower people from all levels of the organization to make the right real-time strategic decisions.
Charthop considers their org chart offering the beginning of a new software category called organizational management. The tool allows you to visualize your organization across any dimension or data point, such as tenure, performance rating, compensation, team, etc. You can also export any historical version of your org chart for auditing or bookkeeping purposes.
Charthop's DE&I dashboards are a class apart. You can leverage the pre-made reports from industry experts, understand the evolution of the DE&I initiatives of your organization through time-tracked changes, and share the trends with your workforce without disclosing sensitive data. For instance, you can visualize dimensions like ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, and education on your organization chart and understand how these factors impact employee compensation, promotions, raises, performance reviews and more. This allows you to be aware of unconscious bias within your organization and practice equality.
Their headcount planning feature allows you to streamline workflows without using a hundred different spreadsheets, design your organization equipped with data insights, and forecast headcount costs for different scenarios.
Charthop offers data aggregation from different people systems using robust integrations with a plethora of HR solutions, ATS, and Performance Management Systems. Having a centralized system like this means spending less time gathering data and more time acting on it.
Organizations can run their compensation cycle, promote continuous performance management, schedule manager 1:1s, analyze performance data, configure performance reviews, and nurture employee experience - all in one place.
Charthop takes data protection very seriously, and their security measures speak for themselves. From fine-grained controls to role-based access, auto-on/offboarding, biometric access control, mandatory SSO, and full encryption, they leave no stone unturned in ensuring that any sensitive data is well-protected.
If you’re not used to using people data to make strategic decisions within the organization, or if you’re looking for a simple and basic org chart, then Charthop isn’t the tool for you. Similarly, if you’re a slow-growth company with 50-100 employees and don’t have to worry about strategic workforce planning since forecasting budget is quite easy now, you won’t be getting the most out of this tool.
Remy Cointreau, InVision, Sequoia, BetterCloud, and Postman
- Charthop saved InVision, a visual collaboration and productivity platform $2.5 million in lost productivity by empowering their team to make better strategic people decisions.
- Organization chart: This is Charthop’s core feature that everything else has been built around. It includes an automatically updated org chart, employee directory, employee map, employee profiles, and dynamic data-rich org chart
- DE&I dashboard: Charthop’s DEI dashboard allows you to visualize data on an org chart across dimensions like ethnicity, gender, and disability, so you can have a deeper understanding of equal pay in the company. They also offer pre-made reports from industry experts, centralized data insights, and trend analysis.
- Security: Charthop’s security feature is great for enterprise customers as it includes fine-grained controls, role-based access, auto-on/offboarding, full encryption, biometric access control, mandatory SSO
- Reporting: Charthop has an executive dashboard, data explorer with configurable filters, access-controlled reports, demographic measuring, and easy-to-build reports. This feature is great for PeopleOps teams that want to have a more strategic seat at the table.
- Headcount planning: This feature allows you to have a much better handle on headcount needs. You can create scenarios such as org restructuring, new partnerships, and M&A integrations, and forecast what the headcount will look like.
- Compensation management: Charthop’s compensation management feature includes smart eligibility rules, guidelines, benchmarks, raises and promotion management, and easily consolidated proposals
- Performance management: Though not as robust as a point solution focused on performance, Charthop’s performance management feature is better than a typical HRIS module. They offer 1:1 reviews scheduling, performance data analytics, 360 performance reviews, OKRs and goal tracking, integration with compensation and engagement data, and configurable review questions and forms.
- Employee experience programs: Employee engagement surveys, manager 1:1s, employee recognition programs, eNPS, individual goal setting, onboarding/offboarding surveys
Charthop integrates with a variety of applicant tracking systems, HR tech stacks, productivity tools, and communication channels. Some of them include Slack, Google, BambooHR, Workday, SAP Success Factors, Greenhouse, Lever, Gusto, Zenefits, etc.
If you're looking for integration with a tool not on the list, you can always reach out to one of their sales representatives and have your queries answered.
Charthop has 4 different pricing plans. When billed annually, here’s what they look like:
- Charthop Build: At $3.50 per employee per month, this plan has all the fundamental features — a live org chart, employee profiles, DE&I reports, and integrations with HRIS, Slack, and Carta.
- Charthop Grow: Priced at $7 per employee per month, the Grow plan offers additional features such as employee engagement surveys, reporting, and custom data. If you don’t currently use a dedicated employee experience software, you can try check out this plan.
- Charthop Scale: This plan is best suited for businesses that want to scale at speed. Equipped with features like a performance management system, ATS integration, and headcount planning, this plan is priced at $10 per employee per month.
- Charthop Enterprise: Large enterprises whose main priority is agility and efficiency can opt for this plan. This pricing is not disclosed upfront. For more information, you can contact Charthop's sales team.
For an additional $2 per employee per month, billed annually, you also get access to their compensation planning tool. If you want to run your comp cycle on the same platform as your HRIS and performance management software, then this feature is beneficial.
To get started with Charthop, you will have to get in touch with one of their sales representatives using the form available on the website. Once you've chosen your plan and paid for it, you can create an account, port data from your existing HRIS, set up your current organization, define roles and teams, create goals, and start planning on how to accomplish them.
Keep in mind that you’ll also need to train your workforce on using the tool and evangelize the benefits so they can get the most out of the software. The entire process can take up to 4 weeks, depending on the amount of data that you need to import from other systems.
ChartHop was founded in 2018 by Ian White, who first started building the software to fill what he felt were gaps in his own knowledge when he founded, ran, and eventually sold his previous company, Sailthru. He firmly believes that when it comes to scaling a business, understanding how departments, people, and the organization as a whole work is key to success. And that’s why he established Charthop.
Today, Charthop aims to support leaders in scaling productive, transparent, and intentional organizations.
The company is backed by organizations like Andreessen Horowitz, Cowboy Ventures, Basement Fund, and 40+ founders and C-level executives.