Even before coronavirus, video interview platforms existed for companies looking to streamline their interview processes. But especially because of the pandemic, recruiters have to become more creative to screen and interview the top talent.
The best video interviewing software can shrink the amount of time your talent acquisition team spends on screening candidates, effectively diminishing your time to fill as well. Yet no matter how great speeding up your hiring process may be, it might not be worth it if the price point is too high for your return on investment.
Our goal with this guide is to help small business and startups leverage the power of video interview software while sticking to a tighter budget. Below you can find the best free-to-use solutions, free trials and inexpensive options to empower your hiring team during the interview process. If you find that your company is ready to upgrade to a paid solution, check out our landscape of the best video interview platforms.
Best Free Video Interview Software
To find the best free video interview software, we attended vendor demos, tested each solution, studied user reviews, and sought input from industry experts. Drawing on all of these resources, we pinpointed four key factors that distinguish the top options: easy opt-in, user-friendliness, multiple-question support, and customization.
- Easy Opt-in: The chosen platforms offer a hassle-free onboarding experience. They don't burden users with credit card requests or endless phone calls. A simple process, like providing your work email or LinkedIn profile, is all it takes to get started.
- User-Friendliness: Good free video interview software should cater to both recruiting teams and interviewees, ensuring a positive experience for both parties. We assessed this factor by setting up and conducting a video interview, then joining the interview as candidates to see things for ourselves. We also noted down if a platform supports multiple languages for diverse hiring practices.
- Multiple Question Support: The top solution includes various question types beyond video, such as audio, text, file upload, multiple choice, and single choice. This ensures recruiters don't need to juggle multiple platforms to assess candidates, while candidates encounter a straightforward pre-assessment process.
- Simple yet Useful Customization: Though extensive customization may not be expected from free video interview software, basic and practical customization options are still essential. We evaluated features like the ability for recruiters to personalize job posts, interview questions, and candidate communication (invitations and rejection emails or messages).
For more insights into our vetting process, refer to this article on our HR Tech evaluation standards.
Hireflix doesn't have a forever-free plan, but they offer a lengthy free trial with all the good stuff: unlimited jobs, users, and themes, customizable candidate communication, and automatic video transcriptions. These features are all rare finds in the one-way video interviewing software market.
- Easy sign-up with just an email address required.
- Unlimited jobs, team members, and interview themes.
- Clear onboarding instructions. Responsive customer support.
- User-friendly interface and easy navigation.
- Robust branding options with customizable elements.
- Pre-built templates for emails, SMS, and Whatsapp messages, with the ability to create custom templates.
- Multilingual support for over 20 languages.
- Customizable automatic candidate notification flow.
- Quick search functionality for candidates and positions.
- No app download is required.
- Allows interviewees to test their tech before the actual interview.
- Downloadable interview videos with automatic transcriptions, rating, and commenting features.
- Hireflix is simple and frictionless. Candidates can take the interview from any country, at any time, and from any device or browser. No application, log-in, or registration is required.
- According to users, Hireflix is super easy to implement, can be deployed immediately, requires no technical knowledge, and provides excellent customer support.
- Hireflix provides a multi-language candidate experience. It supports more than twenty languages including English, Spanish, French, Polish, German and more.
- Excellent set of features for one-way video interviewing (think time, answer time, retakes, multi-branding, transcriptions, customizable notifications, shareable links, an open API, native integrations with the top ATS's, and more.)
- One of the longest free trials for a product in its category.
- Limited to one-way video interviews.
- It only supports video question types; no other formats are available.
- No post-interview feedback option.
- No free-forever plan; trial limited to 300 candidate invites.
- Lack of online interview instructions for candidates.
- If you are looking for AI or ML or live (two-way) video interviews, Hireflix will not be helpful for you since they focus exclusively in one-way video interviewing.
Getting started with Hireflix’s trial was a breeze — you create your account with your name, company name, your email, and that’s good to go. The trial comes with a lot of flexibility right off the bat: unlimited jobs, team members, and interview themes. Plus, they support over 20 languages, catering to a diverse user base.
What stood out most to us was the branding options. We could customize brand colors, logos, and intro/outro videos. This touch of personalization is perfect for recruiting agencies and other teams handling multiple brands.
The pre-built templates for email, SMS, and WhatsApp were handy. We could easily utilize them or create our own templates (except for WhatsApp, where we had to contact the Hireflix team).
Here's a differentiating feature: whenever a new position was created, Hireflix would automatically communicate with candidates. From invitations to reminders and post-interview communications, they had all the bases covered.
The search bar made finding candidates and positions easy, and the support was top-notch. Besides the pre-built help documentation, the live chat support was managed by real people who were quick to lend a helping hand.
As evaluators, we could rate, comment, and review candidate answers at different speeds and access automatic transcriptions and downloadable videos.
However, Hireflix only supports video questions. We couldn't use other question formats like file uploads, text, audio, or multiple choice. There are no online interview instructions for candidates or the option to gather post-interview candidate feedback.
It’s also worth mentioning that Hireflix only offers one-way video interviews, and the above robust features are only free for 30 days, not forever.
Hireflix offers a 1-month free trial and three pricing plans. All plans include one-way interviews, inviting candidates at scale, and reviewing responses as a team, unlimited users, unlimited active jobs, integrations, and support. When billed annually:
- Small: Priced at $75/month, this plan is ideal for businesses with less than 50 employees.
- Medium: This plan costs $150 per month and is geared towards mid-sized companies with 50-250 employees.
- Custom: Hireflix offers a custom quote for corporates, recruitment agencies, and other use cases.
While the capability of Hireflix's free trial is excellent, with a duration of only 30 days, it is best suited for teams looking to explore whether one-way video interviewing is right for them. Whether you are hiring in English-speaking countries or internationally, for in-house positions or as a recruiting agency, the trial can provide valuable insights.
Willo specializes in asynchronous video interviews with a free tier that can be up and running right away. The UI looks lovely and works nicely, while features like customization and collaboration are simple yet effective. Plus, they’re known for regularly introducing new features based on customer input.
- Easy setup with a work email.
- User-friendly and visually appealing interface.
- Robust asynchronous video interviewing features, including branding, media support, customizable communication, and templates.
- Supports 13 languages for recruiters and candidates.
- No app downloads are required.
- Ability to share specific candidate answers.
- Candidate rating and feedback options.
- Flexible video playback for evaluators.
- Downloadable candidate answers.
- Regular feature updates.
- Tech support and troubleshooting are available via help doc and live chat.
- Asynchronous video interviews (one of the main benefits of video interviewing) that save your recruiting team time while allowing them to see candidates for who they are beyond a resume
- Extremely simple to get started, powerful enough for larger companies
- Transparent and affordable pricing, including a free tier
- Willo calculates the time your recruiting team saves each month so you know you’re getting value
- Limited to one user, one active job, and 10 monthly responses.
- No automated follow-ups for non-responsive candidates.
- Job end date options are restricted to no end date or within one month.
- All integrations and Digital Identity Check are paid features.
- No live video interviewing capabilities.
- Restricted user and note capabilities (paid plans only).
- Interview media automatically removed after six months.
- Doesn’t have the breadth of features that products have who have been in this space for 10+ years
- They don’t have a mobile app, but do have a mobile-optimized experience
- Native ATS integrations are limited to <10 ATS’s at this point
- They do not have real time 1:1 video interviews
Willo's free tier offers one of the most user-friendly interfaces and visually appealing designs. The platform can now support recruiters and candidates in 13 languages. We also found the branding features basic yet praiseworthy: you can customize the job post's header, footer, button, and logo with your brand colors.
Willo’s questions can be in video, audio, text, and file forms. And we love the current shape of the platform’s customization. Compared to Recright’s free plan, Willo users can personalize emails sent to candidates with variables, text formatting, and styles. They can even utilize pre-existing templates or create their own.
Candidates using Willo are not required to download any apps and can quickly test their tech and practice before real interviews. At the end of the interview, they can provide feedback and share their availability, simplifying scheduling for recruiters.
Regarding collaboration, while adding users and leaving notes on candidates’ answers are only for paid plans, free users can generate shareable links and even share specific questions — a feature that sets Willo apart from its competitors. The video playback options, ranging from 0.5x to 2x speed, are also on the house.
However, as a free user, you are capped at one job and ten monthly interviews without access to the Identity Check feature and integrations. You can only set the job to last forever or no more than one month. Lastly, Willo's lifecycle policy automatically removes interview media after six months, but thankfully, candidates' answers can be downloaded for safekeeping.
Danone, NHS Scotland, 7 Eleven, Samsung, University of Pennsylvania
Willo has a free tier where you can interview up to 10 people per month. This is great for small companies that want to try video interviewing, or larger companies that want to get a deeper feel for the product before moving to a paid tier.
Otherwise, the product is priced based on the number of users your team has.
- 0-5 users is $336/yr
- 5-20 users is $1,800/yr
- Their enterprise tier is $3,300/yr up to 1,000 employees
- If your company is over 1,000 employees, you’ll have to get a custom quote
We appreciate Willo has transparent pricing that is also accessible to SMBs. In addition to the annual pricing quoted above, they do have month to month plans (annual plans get a 50% discount).
Willo's free tier suits small teams seeking to fill one position at a time. It caters to office-based, remote, or diverse hiring with its multilingual capabilities. Larger businesses can try the free plan to evaluate its one-way interview capabilities. Still, they should not expect it to be their sole solution to screen candidates at scale unless they opt for the software’s paid plans.
Spark Hire is a trusted video interviewing platform that allows all new customers to try all of their paid features for free for up to 14 days. They even make the trial a more enjoyable experience by offering a dedicated account manager that supports you throughout the entire process.
- 14-day free trial with account manager support.
- Native one-way video interviews, live video interviews, and scheduling tools.
- Supports multiple question types: text, video, and resume upload.
- Pre-built one-way video question bank.
- Multi-time zones 24/7 support (US, UK, Australia, the Philippines).
- Mobile-optimized. No app download is required.
- Candidates can rate and give feedback on the interview experience.
- Provides a mock test for candidates to get familiar with the platform.
- 45+ integrations and adding their own ATS.
- Tag colleagues for collaboration.
- Ratings are confidential to avoid influence or bias.
- Advanced share link with expiration option for feedback.
- Requires a work email, work phone, and a 1-hour demo for the free trial.
- No pre-built candidate communication templates.
- Platform language support is English only.
- Auto video transcription feature is currently unavailable but is on the roadmap.
Spark Hire's 14-day free trial comes with account manager support, which we found very helpful in getting us started and understanding the platform better.
During the trial, you get to explore both one-way and live interviews, along with a native scheduling tool. Multiple question types? The software does check off this box. You can add text, video, and resume uploading questions. They even have a pre-built one-way video question bank you can use.
Another thing we like about SparkHire is their multi-time zone 24/7 support. Customer representatives are available in the US, UK, Australia, and the Philippines. This makes you feel assured that assistance is there when needed. Plus, the platform is mobile-optimized, so there is no need to download an app to access interviews.
Next plus: a mock test allows candidates to familiarize themselves with the platform beforehand. But what impresses us more is that, in addition to rating their experience, candidates can provide more detailed feedback in written form once their interviews are over, not just a thumbs up or down.
Spark Hire's integrations are in good shape, with 45+ options available, and they're even working on adding their own ATS. Tagging colleagues for collaboration is fairly straightforward. It’s also lovely that the platform keeps interview ratings confidential until everyone has given their feedback to ensure there’s no influence or bias, which is a feature that few competitors offer.
However, to access the free trial you must provide a work email, phone number, and attend a 1-hour demo with their team — we were expecting something simpler. Additionally, the platform currently only supports English, and auto video transcription is not available yet, although they have plans to add it in the future.
And let’s not forget that Spark Hire only offers a free trial. There’s no free-forever plan.
SparkHire has four plans:
- Lite costs $149 per month for unlimited interviews for 1 job at a time with 3 users.
- Pro costs $299 per month with unlimited interviews for 5 jobs at a time with 5 users.
- Growth costs $499 per month with unlimited interviews for 10 jobs at a time with 6+ users.
- Enterprise plan has more functionality for custom pricing.
The platform also offers a 20% discount for annual subscriptions on Lite, Pro, and Growth plans.
Spark Hire's free trial is best for those seeking to experience all the capabilities of Spark Hire, including live and pre-recorded video interviews, a native scheduler, and seamless ATS integration. It lets you see how it fits your specific interviewing needs before making any commitments.
Recright's free trial offers a seamless experience. You can access job postings, customizable workflow, video interview creation, and candidate invites. To improve the user experience, the platform supports multiple languages and devices, allowing candidates to leave anonymous feedback.
- Recright's free trial requires no credit card information for access.
- The platform offers easy navigation, with helpful instructions through help docs, videos, and onboarding emails.
- Introduce feature enables users to introduce candidates to colleagues or customers.
- Candidates can rate their experience at the end of each recruitment process.
- Job posts allow customizable head banner images, language, logo, and question types (short/long text, multi/single selection).
- Built-in test ensures proper network connection and hardware functionality before candidates join the interview.
- Supports 26 languages for candidates and 10+ languages for recruiters.
- Recright video interviewing tool is easy to use for both recruiters and candidates.
- Helps recruiters save time and enhance the recruiting process by recording questions one time and sharing them with candidates instead of meeting all candidates one-on-one.
- Provides information on which candidates make sense to meet for a personal interview.
- Ability to have multiple users, allowing recruiters to share video information with hiring managers and other team members.
- Transparent pricing structure. A 14-day free trial is also available.
- Great customer support.
- The email to activate your account is in Finnish; some sections on the platform are in Finnish despite the English language selection.
- No recent pieces of training since April 2022.
- No pause button in the video recorder.
- Inability to resend invitations to non-responsive candidates.
- Additional cost for branding features, live video interviews, scheduler, and integrations.
- Limited customization options for message forms (no text toolbar).
- Native ATS doesn't connect directly with job boards, requiring separate integrations at an extra cost.
- Some technical issues have been reported, but they are typically resolved quickly by the support team.
- No pause button in the Recright video recorder.
- Not possible to resend an invitation to candidates who have not opened or answered the first invitation.
- Live video interviewing and interview scheduling are offered as add-ons.
- Message forms when sending invites to candidates are not very customizable.
- Third-party and ATS integrations cost extra. The integration with Visma is not working as fluently as it should.
Recright doesn’t have a free-forever plan, but their free trial (no credit card required) is worth a try.
Recright’s instructions provided through help docs, videos, and onboarding emails made navigation easy. We also found the "Introduce" helpful: we can invite one or multiple recipients to assess one or multiple candidates within a few minutes. The only drawback is its email customization capabilities. You either have to send each email to each candidate for email personalization (as there are no variables to use) or send bulk emails without mentioning their names. You can’t style or format your text either.
Customization options are available but pretty basic. You can adjust the head banner image, language, logo, and question types. But for more advanced customization, you'll need to purchase the Enterprise plan.
Recright caters to candidates in 26 languages and recruiters in 10+ languages. And we were relieved to see that they hold certifications like ISO/IEC 27001:2013 and comply with WCAG and GDPR standards, ensuring data security and accessibility.
However, the activation email and some platform sections were in Finnish, even though we selected English as the UI’s language. We also found that they haven’t provided online training since April 2022. And it's a bit surprising that there's no pause button in the video recorder, which can be a limitation during interviews. Lastly, it costs extra for features like live video interviews, scheduler, and integrations.
Uber, Netflix, Volvo, ABB, KPMG.
After the free trial, Recright has three pricing plans.
- Easy: Starting at €265/month for teams with 10 - 20 positions per year
- Pro: Starting at €475/month for teams with 30 - 50 positions per year
- Enterprise: Custom pricing for teams with over 60 positions per year
- Features like Live Video interviews, Timed Interviews, Interviews Scheduling, or Custom integrations are available at 39.75€/month/feature.
Recright’s current feature sets and pricing structure makes it an excellent option for SMBs seeking a collaborative hiring solution to pre-screen candidates via video interviews. The free trial is a good chance to see how the software works before making further decisions.
Zoom is a popular, easy-to-use, and free video conferencing platform that can be accessed on browsers, desktops as well as mobile devices.
- Free for meetings up to 40 minutes, 100 participants, unlimited one-on-one meetings.
- Very user-friendly.
- Compatible with various apps, including Asana, Slack, AI Notetaker, and Calendars.
- Essential features like whiteboard, recording, screen and doc sharing, virtual background, live chat, and joining Zoom meetings without an account.
- Not designed as a recruitment interviewing tool, lacks essential features for video interviewing (e.g., one-way video interviews).
- Potential interruptions and inconvenience if the call exceeds the time limit, requiring candidates to rejoin.
- App download needed for Zoom meetings on mobile devices.
Zoom has become a go-to option for family calls, online lessons, conferences, and live interviews, especially during the pandemic. Chances are, most interviewees are already familiar and comfortable with it, making scheduling and conducting interviews a breeze.
One of the best parts about Zoom is its compatibility with various collaboration tools like Asana, Slack, and AI Notetaker, making teamwork much more manageable. Plus, you can access essential features like a whiteboard, recording, screen-sharing, virtual backgrounds, and live chat — all for free. Another nifty perk is that people can join meetings as participants without an account.
With the free version of Zoom, you can have up to 100 participants in your interview, which is usually more than enough. But do keep in mind there's a 40-minute time limit. So, if you need more time for those in-depth interviews, it could be a bit of a drawback.
While Zoom is excellent for general video conferencing, it's important to know that it's not specifically designed as a dedicated recruitment interviewing tool. So, some essential features like one-way video interviews, collaborative assessments, and candidate ratings are missing. Also, candidates must download the app on their mobile devices to join meetings, which might cause a little inconvenience.
- 20th Century Fox
Zoom is free for meetings up to 40 minutes with up to 100 participants with unlimited one-on-one meetings. Premium plans start at $150 per license year up to $300 per license per year.
Zoom is a popular and user-friendly interview choice, especially when looking for a quick and free solution.
We can't talk about free video conferencing tools without mentioning Skype. It is a well-known veteran in this space, used for years by millions of people.
- Popular and user-friendly.
- Supports various communication types: Group/1:1 chatting, audio, and video calling.
- Free video meetings for up to 24 hours with 100 participants.
- Features screen sharing, doc sharing, live subtitles, recording, and background effects.
- Background noises are easily picked up.
- Limited integrations.
- Participants on mobile devices need to download the app.
- Accounts need activity every 180 days to avoid deactivation.
Skype has been a reliable video conferencing tool for nearly two decades. It offers real-time interviews that can last up to 24 hours, providing more flexibility compared to Zoom's 40-minute limit while still accommodating up to 100 participants. Additionally, Skype supports various communication types, including group and one-on-one chatting, audio, and video calling.
The user-friendly interface allows easy navigation, and we love that features like screen sharing, document sharing, live subtitles, recording, and background effects are available to all users.
However, like Zoom, Skype is a video conferencing tool and doesn’t possess recruiting-specific capabilities. Additionally, compared to Zoom, it falls short with fewer integration options.
Another aspect to be mindful of is that Skype can pick up background noises easily during interviews, which may cause distractions. Participants joining calls from mobile devices will need to download the Skype app, which could be a slight inconvenience for some users.
Lastly, keep your Skype account active by performing actions, like calling or texting, every 180 days to avoid deactivation.
- Case Western Reserve University
- Capital One
Skype is best for individuals and teams on a budget who need a basic solution for live interviewing candidates without incurring costs. It also caters to anyone seeking free calling options, including video, audio, or phone calls.
- Our goal at SSR is to help HR and recruiting teams to find and buy the right software for their needs.
- Our site is free to use as some vendors will pay us for web traffic.
- SSR lists all companies we feel are top vendors - not just those who pay us - in our comprehensive directories full of the advice needed to make the right purchase decision for your HR team.