We spend hundreds of hours researching the best HR and recruiting software so you don’t have to. We never take money from vendors during our research phase and rely heavily on practitioners and experts to help us recommend the right software. However we may earn a small fee if you click on vendor links on this page.
Gem gathers data from tools that recruitment teams use on a day-to-day basis, such as LinkedIn InMail, ATS, and email, and combines it into a single talent management hub that automates candidate sourcing and engagement while providing detailed insights to support and optimize your recruiting strategy.
Ease of Use
- Gem helps you discover qualified candidates across multiple channels, send personalized messages, visualize your recruitment pipeline, and stay on top of crucial hiring metrics
- Gem's integration with LinkedIn and various ATS means that all candidate data is stored in a centralized location. Users find this feature extremely useful.
- According to users, one of Gem's finest features is the ability to create automated drip campaigns to engage with both active and passive candidates
- Some users have experienced slow load times and lags while using the application
- In rare cases, the contact information, such as the email address or phone number of a sourced candidate, might be wrong
- While Gem currently integrates with LinkedIn, it does not provide the option to automate messages via LinkedIn InMail
Used by over 1200 teams, Gem is a talent engagement platform that helps you with talent sourcing, outreach and recruitment pipeline management.
Best-suited for large enterprises and staffing firms, Gem gathers data from various recruitment tools and sources like ATS, LinkedIn, past applications, and email to create a single source of truth called a candidate relationship management (CRM) hub. The CRM hub has a record of every candidate interaction as well as up-to-date information about them, including career developments and recent milestones.
Gem's talent sourcing and outreach tool help recruitment teams connect with active and passive talent and engage them through multi-stage email sequences. For instance, through this feature, you can automate interview reminders and schedule follow-ups with candidates currently in the pipeline. On the other hand, passive candidates can be engaged through curated content and interesting updates about your organization sent to them weekly or bi-weekly.
Customers especially like Gem's pipeline management feature that provides a visual snapshot of your entire recruitment pipeline. You can sort candidates based on which stage of the hiring process they're currently in, move them further along based on interviews and assignments, or send them a rejection email using a pre-existing template.
The reporting dashboard, called Talent Compass, provides valuable insights into the performance of your recruitment team, pipeline health, diversity hiring efforts, and email engagement rate. You can also use the stats to project the number of hires you expect to make in the coming weeks and months and tweak your recruitment strategy to meet your hiring goals.
If you’re a small or mid-sized business that doesn’t hire more than 10 employees a year, you won’t be using Gem to its full potential.
Coinbase, Slack, Asana, Dropbox, Lyft, Indeed, Pinterest, and Doordash
- Talent CRM: Gem's Candidate Relationship Management platform gathers candidate data across recruiting systems, LinkedIn InMails, and emails and stores it in a centralized location.
- Automated Outreach: Send multi-stage sequences via email to active and passive candidates, in turn, boosting candidate engagement.
- Pipeline Management: Get a bird's-eye view of your entire recruiting pipeline, sync it with your ATS, add notes to individual profiles, move candidates to the next stage, or send them a rejection email with a ready-to-use template.
- Talent Compass: Gather data and analytics across Gem and your ATS to evaluate your hiring efficiency, team performance, and projections for the future.
Gem integrates with over 20+ third-party applications, including Greenhouse, Workday, LinkedIn, Indeed and more. We recommend contacting their sales team to learn about the custom integrations they offer.
The cost of Gem's services is based on the size of your recruitment team, the number of hires, and other factors like custom ATS integrations. You can reach out to their sales team for a quote.
Gem is best suited for large enterprises and staffing agencies that need to hire more employees in a short time period.
To get started with Gem, you can visit their website and click the 'Get Started For Free’ button on the homepage. This will take you to a page where you can enter your business email and sign up for a free trial. You can also go through the 'Getting Started With Gem' guide available in their help center for information on how to set up your account, integrate it with your ATS, and more.
Gem has a help center accessible 24/7 for self-serve. They also provide developer documentation and frequent product updates, so you're always in the know. Apart from this, they conduct events and webinars to help you connect with your peers from the TA community. Should you need further help, you can contact their support team.
The co-founders of Gem, Steve Bartel and Nick Bushak, were working as engineering managers at Dropbox and Facebook when their companies decided to scale at speed. However, finding the best talent, a.k.a the 'gems', wasn't easy, given that the best people were already taken. And that's when they realized that tracking and managing relationships with passive candidates is crucial. And with no existing system that effectively did this, they set out to build one of their own. That's when Gem was born.
Since then, Gem has grown leaps and bounds, with funding from investors like Greylock, ICONIQ, and Accel. It is now a Unicorn and one of the fastest-growing SaaS businesses with a $1.2B valuation.
San Francisco, California, United States
Number of Employees
Gem has raised $148M in funding over 4 rounds. Their latest was a Series C round in September 2021.